EVANGELIO DEL DÍA

jueves, 24 de junio de 2010

"Jesus touched him, and said, 'I will do it. Be made clean' "

DAILY GOSPEL: 25/06/2010
«Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life.» John 6,68



Friday of the Twelfth week in Ordinary Time


2nd book of Kings 25:1-12.
In the tenth month of the ninth year of Zedekiah's reign, on the tenth day of the month, Nebuchadnezzar, king of Babylon, and his whole army advanced against Jerusalem, encamped around it, and built siege walls on every side.
The siege of the city continued until the eleventh year of Zedekiah.
On the ninth day of the fourth month, when famine had gripped the city, and the people had no more bread,
the city walls were breached. Then the king and all the soldiers left the city by night through the gate between the two walls which was near the king's garden. Since the Chaldeans had the city surrounded, they went in the direction of the Arabah.
But the Chaldean army pursued the king and overtook him in the desert near Jericho, abandoned by his whole army.
The king was therefore arrested and brought to Riblah to the king of Babylon, who pronounced sentence on him.
He had Zedekiah's sons slain before his eyes. Then he blinded Zedekiah, bound him with fetters, and had him brought to Babylon.
On the seventh day of the fifth month (this was in the nineteenth year of Nebuchadnezzar, king of Babylon), Nebuzaradan, captain of the bodyguard, came to Jerusalem as the representative of the king of Babylon.
He burned the house of the LORD, the palace of the king, and all the houses of Jerusalem; every large building was destroyed by fire.
Then the Chaldean troops who were with the captain of the guard tore down the walls that surrounded Jerusalem.
Then Nebuzaradan, captain of the guard, led into exile the last of the people remaining in the city, and those who had deserted to the king of Babylon, and the last of the artisans.
But some of the country's poor, Nebuzaradan, captain of the guard, left behind as vinedressers and farmers.

Psalms 137(136):1-2.3.4-5.6.
By the rivers of Babylon we sat mourning and weeping when we remembered Zion.
On the poplars of that land we hung up our harps.
There our captors asked us for the words of a song; Our tormentors, for a joyful song: "Sing for us a song of Zion!"
But how could we sing a song of the LORD in a foreign land?
If I forget you, Jerusalem, may my right hand wither.
May my tongue stick to my palate if I do not remember you, If I do not exalt Jerusalem beyond all my delights.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Matthew 8:1-4.
When Jesus came down from the mountain, great crowds followed him.
And then a leper approached, did him homage, and said, "Lord, if you wish, you can make me clean."
He stretched out his hand, touched him, and said, "I will do it. Be made clean." His leprosy was cleansed immediately.
Then Jesus said to him, "See that you tell no one, but go show yourself to the priest, and offer the gift that Moses prescribed; that will be proof for them."
Mt 8,1-4
Commentary of the day 
Saint Symeon the New Theologian (c.949-1022), Greek monk
Hymn 30
"Jesus touched him, and said, 'I will do it. Be made clean' "
« Jésus le toucha et lui dit : ' Je le veux ; sois purifié ' »
Until there shone the light divine
I knew not myself.
Then, seeing myself in darkness and the dungeon,
Caught in the mire, covered with muck,
Wounded, bloated...,
I fell at the feet of the one who had enlightened me,
and he who had enlightened me
touched my bonds and injuries
with his hands.
Where his hand touched and his finger drew near
At once my bonds fell from me,
My wounds and all my uncleanness disappeared.
My fleshly filth vanished...
So as to become like his divine hand.
What an extraordinary marvel:
My flesh, soul and body,
Have a share in divine glory!

No sooner was I purified, freed from my bonds,
Than he appeared who held out to me his divine hand.
He drew me out completely from the mire,
Embraced and hugged me,
Covering me with kisses (Lk 15,20).
And I who had been altogether spent
And had lost my strength,
he took upon his shoulders (Lk 15,5),
and carried me away from my tortures...

It was light that bore me away, upholding me,
drawing me towards a great light...
It enabled me to contemplate by what mysterious refashioning
he himself had formed me once again (Gn 2,7),
snatching me away from corruption.
He granted me the gift of life immortal
and clothed me with a garment, insubstantial and shining,
giving me sandals, a ring and a crown,
incorruptible and everlasting (Lk 15,22).


Friday, 25 June 2010

St. Prosper of Aquitaine (5th century)

image Other saints of the day

SAINT PROSPER of AQUITAINE
(5th century)
        St. Prosper was born at Aquitaine, in the year 403. His works show that in his youth he had happily applied himself to all the branches both of polite and sacred learning. On account of the purity and sanctity of his manners, he is called by those of his age a holy and venerable man.
        Our Saint does not appear to have been any more than a layman; but being of great virtue, and of extraordinary talents and learning, he wrote several works in which he ably refuted the errors of heresy.
        St. Leo the Great, being chosen Pope in 440, invited St. Prosper to Rome, made him his secretary, and employed him in the most important affairs of the Church. Our Saint crushed the Pelagian heresy, which began again to raise its head in that capital, and its final overthrow is said to be due to his zeal, learning, and unwearied endeavors.
        The date of his death is uncertain, but he was still living in 463.

No hay comentarios: