EVANGELIO DEL DÍA

viernes, 4 de marzo de 2011

"By what authority are you doing these things?"

DAILY GOSPEL: 05/03/2011
«Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life.» John 6,68


Saturday of the Eighth week in Ordinary Time

Book of Sirach 51:12-20.
I thank the LORD and I praise him; I bless the name of the LORD.
When I was young and innocent, I sought wisdom.
She came to me in her beauty, and until the end I will cultivate her.
As the blossoms yielded to ripening grapes, the heart's joy, My feet kept to the level path because from earliest youth I was familiar with her.
In the short time I paid heed, I met with great instruction.
Since in this way I have profited, I will give my teacher grateful praise.
I became resolutely devoted to her-- the good I persistently strove for.
I burned with desire for her, never turning back. I became preoccupied with her, never weary of extolling her. My hand opened her gate and I came to know her secrets.
For her I purified my hands; in cleanness I attained to her. At first acquaintance with her, I gained understanding such that I will never forsake her.

Psalms 19:8.9.10.11.
The law of the LORD is perfect, refreshing the soul. The decree of the LORD is trustworthy, giving wisdom to the simple.
The precepts of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart. The command of the LORD is clear, enlightening the eye.
The fear of the LORD is pure, enduring forever. The statutes of the LORD are true, all of them just;
More desirable than gold, than a hoard of purest gold, Sweeter also than honey or drippings from the comb.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Mark 11:27-33.
Jesus and his disciples returned once more to Jerusalem. As he was walking in the temple area, the chief priests, the scribes, and the elders approached him
and said to him, "By what authority are you doing these things? Or who gave you this authority to do them?"
Jesus said to them, "I shall ask you one question. Answer me, and I will tell you by what authority I do these things.
Was John's baptism of heavenly or of human origin? Answer me."
They discussed this among themselves and said, "If we say, 'Of heavenly origin,' he will say, '(Then) why did you not believe him?'
But shall we say, 'Of human origin'?"--they feared the crowd, for they all thought John really was a prophet.
So they said to Jesus in reply, "We do not know." Then Jesus said to them, "Neither shall I tell you by what authority I do these things."
 Mc 11,27-33
Commentary of the day 
Saint Hilary (c.315-367), Bishop of Poitiers, Doctor of the Church
The Trinity, VII, 26-27
"By what authority are you doing these things?"
The Son who is like him is the Father's own; he who is compared with Him is born from Him; he who does the works that belong to Him is not external to Him (cf. Jn 5,19)...The Son performs the Father's works, and on those grounds he demands that we should believe he is God's Son. This is no claim of mere arrogance; for he bases it upon his works, and bids us examine them. And he bears witness that these works are not his own, but his Father's. He would not have our thoughts distracted by the splendour of the deeds from the evidence for his birth. And because people could not penetrate the mystery of the body he had taken, the humanity born of Mary, and recognise the Son of God, he appeals to these deeds for confirmation of his right to the name: «If I perform my Father's works, even if you do not believe me, believe the works» (cf. Jn 10, 37-38)...

If he seems unworthy, in his bodily lowliness, to bear the Divine name, yet he demands that we should at least believe his works. Why should the mystery of his human birth hinder our recognition of his birth as God?... «Even if you do not believe me, believe the works, so that you may realize and understand that the Father is in me and I in the Father»...

This is the nature which is his by birth, this the mystery of the saving faith: that we must not divide the unity, nor separate the nature from the birth, but must confess that the living God was in truth born from the living God... «Just as the living Father sent me so I live by the Father» (cf. Jn 6,57)... «Just as the Father has life in himself, so also he gave to his Son the possession of life in himself» (Jn 5,26).

                    

Saturday, 05 March 2011

Sts Adrian and Eubulus, Martyrs (+ 309)



SAINTS ADRIAN and EUBULUS
Martyrs

(+ 309)
        In the seventh year of Diocletian's persecution, continued by Galerius Maximianus, when Firmilian, the most bloody governor of Palestine, had stained Cæsarea with the blood of many illustrious martyrs, Adrian and Eubulus came out of the country called Magantia to Cæsarea, in order to visit the holy confessors there.
        At the gates of the city they were asked, as others were, whither they were going, and upon what errand. They ingenuously confessed the truth, and were brought before the president, who ordered them to be tortured and their sides to be torn with iron hooks, and then condemned them to be exposed to wild beasts.
        Two days after, when the pagans at Cæsarea celebrated the festival of the public Genius, Adrian was exposed to a lion, and not being despatched by that beast, but only mangled, was at length killed by the sword.
        Eubulus was treated in the same manner two days later. The judge offered him his liberty if he would sacrifice to idols; but the Saint preferred a glorious death, and was the last that suffered in this persecution at Cæsarea, which had now continued twelve years, under three successive governors, Flavian, Urban, and Firmilian.


Lives of the Saints, by Alban Butler, Benziger Bros. ed. [1894]


No hay comentarios: