EVANGELIO DEL DÍA

domingo, 13 de febrero de 2011

"Why does this generation seek a sign?"

DAILY GOSPEL: 14/02/2011
«Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life.» John 6,68


Monday of the Sixth week in Ordinary Time

Book of Genesis 4:1-15.25.
The man had relations with his wife Eve, and she conceived and bore Cain, saying, "I have produced a man with the help of the LORD."
Next she bore his brother Abel. Abel became a keeper of flocks, and Cain a tiller of the soil.
In the course of time Cain brought an offering to the LORD from the fruit of the soil,
while Abel, for his part, brought one of the best firstlings of his flock. The LORD looked with favor on Abel and his offering,
but on Cain and his offering he did not. Cain greatly resented this and was crestfallen.
So the LORD said to Cain: "Why are you so resentful and crestfallen?
If you do well, you can hold up your head; but if not, sin is a demon lurking at the door: his urge is toward you, yet you can be his master."
Cain said to his brother Abel, "Let us go out in the field." When they were in the field, Cain attacked his brother Abel and killed him.
Then the LORD asked Cain, "Where is your brother Abel?" He answered, "I do not know. Am I my brother's keeper?"
The LORD then said: "What have you done! Listen: your brother's blood cries out to me from the soil!
Therefore you shall be banned from the soil that opened its mouth to receive your brother's blood from your hand.
If you till the soil, it shall no longer give you its produce. You shall become a restless wanderer on the earth."
Cain said to the LORD: "My punishment is too great to bear.
Since you have now banished me from the soil, and I must avoid your presence and become a restless wanderer on the earth, anyone may kill me at sight."
Not so!" the LORD said to him. "If anyone kills Cain, Cain shall be avenged sevenfold." So the LORD put a mark on Cain, lest anyone should kill him at sight.
Adam again had relations with his wife, and she gave birth to a son whom she called Seth. "God has granted me more offspring in place of Abel," she said, "because Cain slew him."

Psalms 50:1.8.16-17.20-21.
A psalm of Asaph. The LORD, the God of gods, has spoken and summoned the earth from the rising of the sun to its setting.
Not for your sacrifices do I rebuke you, nor for your holocausts, set before me daily.
But to the wicked God says: "Why do you recite my commandments and profess my covenant with your lips?
You hate discipline; you cast my words behind you!
You sit maligning your own kin, slandering the child of your own mother.
When you do these things should I be silent? Or do you think that I am like you? I accuse you, I lay the charge before you.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Mark 8:11-13.
The Pharisees came forward and began to argue with him, seeking from him a sign from heaven to test him.
He sighed from the depth of his spirit and said, "Why does this generation seek a sign? Amen, I say to you, no sign will be given to this generation."
Then he left them, got into the boat again, and went off to the other shore. 
Mc 8,11-13
Commentary of the day 
Saint Hilary (c.315-367), Bishop of Poitiers, Doctor of the Church
The Trinity, Bk.12, 52-53
"Why does this generation seek a sign?"
Father Most Holy, God Almighty..., when I raise the faint light of my eyes towards the sky, how can I doubt it to be your heaven? When I contemplate the movement of the stars and their yearly cycle; when I see the Pleiades, Little Bear and Morning Star and consider how each of them shines in the watch assigned to it, then I understand, O God, that you are there in those stars beyond my understanding. When I see «the breakers of the sea» (Ps 93[92],4) I cannot grasp the origin of their waters or even what sets their ebb and flow in motion. And yet– impenetrable though it be for me – I believe there to be a cause to these facts of which I have no knowledge and there, too, I perceive your presence.

If I turn my mind towards the earth which, by means of the energy of hidden forces, decomposes all the seeds it has received in its womb, slowly causes them to germinate and multiply, then enables them to grow, I see nothing in all this that I could understand with my intellect. But even this ignorance helps me to discern you since, if I have no knowledge of the nature placed at my service, yet I understand you by the mere fact that it is there for my use.

And if I turn towards my own self, this experience tells me that I do not understand myself and I wonder at you all the more in that I am a stranger to myself. Indeed, even if I am unable to comprehend them, I have an experience of the movements of my mind as it judges, of its operations, of its life. And it is to you that I owe this experience, you who have given me a share in this sensible nature, which is my joy even if its origin is beyond the grasp of my intelligence. I do not understand my own self but it is in myself that I find you and, in finding you, adore you.


Monday, 14 February 2011

Ss Cyril, Monk, and Methodius, Bishop, Memorial (Feast in Europ)



Saint Cyril, Monk, and Methodius, Bishop
Patrons of Europ
Memorial
(Feast in Europ)
         St Cyril and St Methodius were brothers from Thessalonica (Greece).
         Cyril was born about 826 and died at Rome in 869.
         Methodius was born about 815. He was made a bishop and spent many years preaching the gospel in Hungary, despite resistance and hostility. He died in Velehrad (Czech Republic) in 885.
         With papal approval they preached the gospel in Moravia using their own translations of the Scriptures and the liturgy in the local language. These translations into Slavonic were based on an alphabet they invented, now called Cyrillic.
         Cyril and Methodius are honoured as apostles of the Slavic peoples.


No hay comentarios: