EVANGELIO DEL DÍA

martes, 27 de julio de 2010

The pearl of great price

DAILY GOSPEL: 28/07/2010
«Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life.» John 6,68



Wednesday of the Seventeenth week in Ordinary Time


Book of Jeremiah 15:10.16-21.
Woe to me, mother, that you gave me birth! a man of strife and contention to all the land! I neither borrow nor lend, yet all curse me.
When I found your words, I devoured them; they became my joy and the happiness of my heart, Because I bore your name, O LORD, God of hosts.
I did not sit celebrating in the circle of merrymakers; Under the weight of your hand I sat alone because you filled me with indignation.
Why is my pain continuous, my wound incurable, refusing to be healed? You have indeed become for me a treacherous brook, whose waters do not abide!
Thus the LORD answered me: If you repent, so that I restore you, in my presence you shall stand; If you bring forth the precious without the vile, you shall be my mouthpiece. Then it shall be they who turn to you, and you shall not turn to them;
And I will make you toward this people a solid wall of brass. Though they fight against you, they shall not prevail, For I am with you, to deliver and rescue you, says the LORD.
I will free you from the hand of the wicked, and rescue you from the grasp of the violent.

Psalms 59(58):2-3.4-5.10-11.17.18.
Rescue me from my enemies, my God; lift me out of reach of my foes.
Deliver me from evildoers; from the bloodthirsty save me.
They have set an ambush for my life; the powerful conspire against me. For no offense or misdeed of mine, LORD,
for no fault they hurry to take up arms. Come near and see my plight!
My strength, for you I watch; you, God, are my fortress,
my loving God.
But I shall sing of your strength, extol your love at dawn, For you are my fortress, my refuge in time of trouble.
My strength, your praise I will sing; you, God, are my fortress, my loving God.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Matthew 13:44-46.
The kingdom of heaven is like a treasure buried in a field, which a person finds and hides again, and out of joy goes and sells all that he has and buys that field.
Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant searching for fine pearls.
When he finds a pearl of great price, he goes and sells all that he has and buys it. 
 Mt 13,44-46
Commentary of the day 
Saint Bonaventure (1221-1274), Franciscan, Doctor of the Church
Life of Saint Francis, Legenda major, ch. 7 (©Classics of Western Spirituality)
The pearl of great price
Among the gifts of grace which Francis received from God the generous Giver, he merited as a special privilege to grow in the riches of simplicity through his love of the highest poverty. The holy man saw that poverty was the close companion of the Son of God, and now that it was rejected by the whole world, he was eager to espouse it in everlasting love. For the sake of poverty he not only left his father and "mother, but also gave away everything he had. No one was so greedy for gold as he was for poverty; nor was anyone so anxious to guard his treasure as he was in guarding this pearl of the Gospel.

In this especially would his sight be offended if he saw in the friars anything which did not accord completely with poverty. Indeed, from the beginning of his religious life until his death, his only riches were a tunic, a cord and underclothes; and with this much he was content. He used to frequently call to mind with tears the poverty of Jesus Christ and his mother, claiming that it was the queen of the virtues because it shone forth so preeminently in the King of kings (1Tm 6,15) and in the Queen, his mother.

When the friars asked him at a gathering what virtue does more to make one a friend of Christ, he replied as if opening the hidden depths of his heart: "Know, brothers, that poverty is the special way to salvation, as the stimulus of humility and the root of perfection, whose fruit is manifold but hidden. This is the Gospel's treasure «hidden in a field» (Matt. 13:44); to buy this we should sell everything, and in comparison to this we should spurn everything we cannot sell."

                    

Wednesday, 28 July 2010

St. Victor, Pope and Martyr († 198)



Saint Victor I
Pope and Martyr
(† 198)
Third Class
        Pope St. Victor governed the Church in the time of the Emperor Severus. He confuted Theodotus Coriarius and wrote on the question of Easter.
       Crowned with martyrdom, he was buried on Vatican hill on the fifth day before the Calends of August.

No hay comentarios: