EVANGELIO DEL DÍA

viernes, 2 de julio de 2010

Become a believer and be my apostle

DAILY GOSPEL: 03/07/2010
«Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life.» John 6,68



Saint Thomas, apostle - Feast


Letter to the Ephesians 2:19-22.
So then you are no longer strangers and sojourners, but you are fellow citizens with the holy ones and members of the household of God,
built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus himself as the capstone.
Through him the whole structure is held together and grows into a temple sacred in the Lord;
in him you also are being built together into a dwelling place of God in the Spirit.

Psalms 117:1.2.
Praise the LORD, all you nations! Give glory, all you peoples!
The LORD'S love for us is strong; the LORD is faithful forever. Hallelujah!

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint John 20:24-29.
Thomas, called Didymus, one of the Twelve, was not with them when Jesus came.
So the other disciples said to him, "We have seen the Lord." But he said to them, "Unless I see the mark of the nails in his hands and put my finger into the nailmarks and put my hand into his side, I will not believe."
Now a week later his disciples were again inside and Thomas was with them. Jesus came, although the doors were locked, and stood in their midst and said, "Peace be with you."
Then he said to Thomas, "Put your finger here and see my hands, and bring your hand and put it into my side, and do not be unbelieving, but believe."
Thomas answered and said to him, "My Lord and my God!"
Jesus said to him, "Have you come to believe because you have seen me? Blessed are those who have not seen and have believed."

Jn 20,24-29
Commentary of the day 
Saint Basil of Seleucia (?-c.468), bishop
Sermon for the Resurrection, 1-4
Become a believer and be my apostle
       «Put your finger into the marks of the nails». You looked for me when I wasn't there, now take advantage of it. I understand your desire despite your silence. Before you tell me them I already know your thoughts. I heard you speak and, even though unseen, I was beside you, beside your doubts. Without revealing myself I made you wait so as better to consider your eagerness. «Put your finger into the marks of the nails. Put your hand into my side; do not be unbelieving any longer, but believe.»

       Then Thomas touched him and all his mistrust fell away. Full of genuine faith and all the love owing to God, he cried out: «My Lord and my God!» And the Lord said to him: «You believe because you have seen me; happy are those who have not seen and yet believe!» Thomas took the news of the resurrection to those who had not seen. Draw the whole earth to believe, not by its own sight but at your word. Go through peoples and cities far away. Teach them to carry the cross rather than weapons on their shoulders. Only proclaim me: they will believe and worship. They will demand no other proof. Tell them they are called by grace and, with your own eyes, behold their faith. Truly, blessed are those who did not see and yet believed!

       This is the army the Lord raises; these are the children of the baptismal font, the works of grace, the fruit of the Spirit. They have followed Christ without having seen him; they sought him and believed. They recognised him with the eyes of faith not those of the body. They have not put their finger into the mark of the nails but they have bound themselves to his cross and embraced his sufferings. They have not seen the Lord's side but, by grace, they have become members of his body and have made his words their own: «Happy are those who have not seen and yet believe!»


Saturday, 03 July 2010

St. Thomas, Apostle -Feast



SAINT THOMAS
Apostle
        St. Thomas was one of the fishermen on the Lake of A Galilee whom our Lord called to be his apostles. By nature slow to believe, too apt to see difficulties, and to look at the dark side of things, he had withal a most sympathetic, loving, and courageous heart.
        Once when Jesus spoke of the mansions in his Father's house, St. Thomas, in his simplicity, asked: "Lord, we know not whither you go, and how can we know the way?"
        When Jesus turned to go toward Bethany to the grave of Lazarus, the desponding apostle at once feared the worst for his beloved Lord, yet cried out bravely to the rest: "Let us also go and die with him"
        After the Resurrection, incredulity again prevailed, and whilst the wounds of the crucifixion were imprinted vividly on his affectionate mind, he would not credit the report that Christ had indeed risen. But at the actual sight of the pierced hands and side, and the gentle rebuke of his Saviour, unbelief was gone forever; and his faith and ours has ever triumphed in the joyous utterance into which he broke: "My Lord and my God!"

No hay comentarios: